Harvard China Student Internship Program
The Harvard China Student Internship Program (HCSIP) is offered in partnership with Chinese corporations, NGOs/NPOs, and multinational companies in China. Students experience modern China through their internship placements and gain an introduction to Chinese history and culture, all while learning first-hand about life in the workplace. The structure of the program includes a nine-week internship, a week-long field trip, and numerous cultural events.
Since 2008, HCSIP has grown into one of the largest and most successful summer internship programs at Harvard.
Program Dates: Saturday, June 9th – Friday, August 17th, 2018. (One week of orientation/field trip organized by the Harvard China Fund will take place from June 9th to June 16th)
Eligibility: Returning undergraduates from all concentrations are eligible to apply. Chinese language is not required to apply, but almost all of the internship positions require some knowledge of oral and written Chinese. Students must be able to commit to the entire 10-week program.
Potential Internship Locations: Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Haikou, Hong Kong, and Taiwan
Cost: All students will be responsible for the $2,500 program fee. Housing and airfare will be covered by funding from the host company, Harvard China Fund, or other sources of funding on campus. All interns will receive a small, variable stipend. Funding is available and all eligible students will be automatically considered for a grant from the Office of Career Services or other sources of funding after applying to HCSIP.
Information Session: Thursday, December 7th at 3:00pm in the Belfer Case Study Room, CGIS South S020.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Wednesday, January 17, 2018
Please submit the following materials to apply to the program:
- 2018 HCSIP Application Form
- Essay (no more than two pages double spaced, see application form for topic)
- Unofficial transcript
- Resume (no more than one page)
- Letter of recommendation
Please submit all application materials through CARAT, Harvard's centralized application tool, and select the funding source Harvard China Fund - Student Internship Program. While all efforts should be made to submit the recommendation letter through CARAT, if your recommender is unable to access CARAT, please have them send their letter directly to Caitlin Keliher at email@example.com or:
Harvard China Fund
1730 Cambridge St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
Please contact Caitlin Keliher at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-496-3982 if you have any questions.
The Harvard China Fund thanks its partners in China for their continued support of the Harvard China Student Internship Program.
Beijing Genomics Institute, Shenzhen
- Bioinformatics Research Assistant: Support research project and participate in scientific paper writing. Research mainly focus on human disease. Develop integrative mining methods for learning about complex patterns and features in high throughput genomic data. Design and optimize fast bioinformatics algorithms approaches to deal with data for thousands of samples.
- Bioinformatician: Analyze biological data (mainly DNA sequences) and mine valuable information from these data. The projects are mainly studies in human diseases, including genomics and metagenomics. The interns will work as a bioinformatician and learn how to program and build models to solve biological problems.
Design & Architecture
Link+ Architects, Shanghai
- Interior Design Intern: The Designer intern is involved in working on a number of exciting retail and renovation projects. From small to big scale projects, he/she will support and help the design team in creating innovative solutions, from concept to completion. He/she will conduct conceptual exploration including researches, sketching, drawing with a knowledge of the major 3D modeling software including AutoCAD, sketchup, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, Adobe Acrobat) and all Microsoft Office programs (PowerPoint, Excel, Word). 3D software (3DSmax, Rhino) proficiency is a plus.
Ivy Education Group, Beijing
- Strategic and Finance Intern: Assigned to a project team of an ongoing project. Past projects including developing a business plan for the launch of a new education business, acquisition analysis and planning, and developing financial models.
Champion REIT, Hong Kong
- Summer Analyst: Will gain a deep understanding of knowledge across the REIT sector in the APAC region; involved in evaluating potential global real estate investment opportunities; collaborate with senior team members in formulating business strategies for the portfolio properties. Candidates can further discuss with the host company in creating project(s) that is of their interest.
China Universal Asset Management, Shanghai
- Sales & Marketing Assistant for International Business Development: Provide overall market research as advised by mentor in healthcare field in US market; complete and support marketing material preparation; support other research.
E Fund Management, Guangzhou
- Quantitative Analyst: Develop and implement quantitative investment strategies; participate in the development of innovative quantitative investment products; other related research as assigned.
- Data Analyst: Track the latest academic research and industry application of artificial intelligence and big data; research and expand AI algorithm and financial data model; lead implementation of data modeling and algorithmic design for intelligent solutions; participate in construction of Intelligent Platform.
F.O.G Capital & Asset Management, Shanghai
- Investment Manager Assistant: Assisting manager in investment analysis, due diligence study, risk management and related works.
- Real Estate Asset Manager Assistant: Assisting manager in investment analysis, due diligence study, risk management and related works.
HNA Group, Headquarters, Haikou
- Intern: As an intern in HNA Group Headquarters, you will be exposed to the many facets of a multi-industry, multinational conglomerate, which started in China and develops in the global market. Based on student's skill set and preference, interns will be assigned to departments as below: Finance, Risk Management, Investment, CSR, HR, Eco-innovation.
HNA Tourism Group, Beijing
- Finance Intern: Interpret company's financial results to management and recommend improvement strategies; assist in maintaining a documented system of accounting policies and procedures; engage in ongoing analysis in areas such as financial structure optimization, equity structure, financial statements planning and annual financial audit; assist in financial situation analysis, monitoring of major economic trends and financial issues; Ongoing research and organization of accounting information program.
- Strategy Intern: Showcase a creative and inventive spirit through an understanding of current politics, public policies and market trending on specific business industries; use market research to identify insights that can be used to drive key decisions across the organization; collect, track and analyze resource data for corporate functions; prepare reports, review and conduct trending analysis; formulate and evaluate alternative solutions and/or recommendations to achieve the goals of the program or function.
- CSR Intern: Explore and oversee potential CSR projects & branding toolkits, ensuring they can be leveraged and apply to elevate HNA Tourism's brand image; assist in researching and provide insightful proposals on branding solution, brand values setting and CSR projects; assist in the researching, planning and implementation of PR campaigns.
- HR Intern: Support general HR programs including training, compensation and benefits administration, recruiting, new hire orientation, employee relations, and performance management among others; build and maintain relationships in person, via phone, and via email in a professional manner with HNA Tourism’s HR business partners; process and analyze HR data for reporting purposes such as turnover tracking and recruitment channels analysis; general HR Administrative tasks including: maintenance of employment files and records per company policy and legal regulations.
Primavera Capital Group, Beijing
- Summer Analyst Intern: Conduct company and industry research; assist full-time staff in financial and valuation analysis; prepare investment memos and financial models.
Sinolink Securities, Shanghai
- Research Assistant: Collect financial data and relevant business information about certain industry or companies from various sources as required; assist to prepare weekly or monthly research report; use accounting, financial and mathematical formula to build or improve financial models to analyze certain industries and companies.
ZillionSource Technologies, Shanghai
- Marketing Intern: Perform market analysis and research; prepare promotional presentations and marketing materials; develop and implement marketing strategies; supporting other advised research and tasks.
McKinsey & Company, Shanghai
- Research Intern: The internship is offered by China Knowledge Center, the research arm of McKinsey’s Greater China office. Interns will handle industry research requests mainly focused on the Chinese market, learn the McKinsey way of problem solving, charting, and research skills.
SANY Group Co., Ltd., Beijing
- IT Engineer
- HR Intern
- Electronic Commerce Intern
- Marketing Management Intern
- Book Editor: Researching statistics, editing writing, sourcing pictures, conducting expert interviews; working directly with Peggy Liu to write her book on China, “Gigascale, Gigapace: China’s Rapid Green Journey."
- Program Assistant: Work directly with Peggy Liu on organizing a VIP event with central and local Chinese government and international tourism experts to come up with a strategy for turning a large mountain range into a conservation area with ecotourism revenues. This is precedence setting in China, as it begins to embark on creating a network of national parks for conservation, and tries to come up with economic models for local employment to transition out of industrial economies.
- Project Assistant: The intern will be able to use his/her skillset where the program sees fit.
Junior Achievement China, Shanghai & Beijing
- Program Assistant: The interns will support/facilitate implementation of JA China educational workshops in primary schools and high schools. And the interns will enroll with developing activities and researching for the new program. Also some editing and translating English documents for JA staff in daily work. Many national or international summer camp organization and design working opportunities will be provided to the summer interns specially.
One Foundation, Shenzhen
- Campaign Marketing Assistant: Working in the donor development to design new giving product to sale in e-commerce platform. One Foundation is the first organization to fundraise online in China and never stop to innovate creative ways to engage potential donors. Setting up organization’s shop online to sale digital and actual merchandise are new way for fundraising.
- Program Intern/Assistant for Environmental Law and Governance Project: Participate in the research and advocacy projects in environmental law, governance and natural conservation (ocean/fisheries and wildlife protection); Provide support to the conference organization, report writing, and office administrative tasks.
Harvard Business School Research, Shanghai & Hong Kong
- HBS Summer Research Intern: Interns may assist in some or all aspects of the work at HSC, with their HBS focused staff members and Executive Director. Depending on what is going on when the interns arrive, students will participate in case writing and analytical work, desk research (e.g. company/industry/country micro and macroeconomic background research based on public data), helping pitch ideas in the discovery/ development phase, and more. The intern may also have an opportunity to support the Asia-Pacific Research Center depending on language skills, research interest and the research projects going on during the internship. This is an amazing opportunity for undergraduate students to delve into fascinating management issues. Interns may also have an opportunity to observe HCS programs and events, including Executive Education programs run by HBS for Chinese business executives.
- Research Assistant: Carry out research on assigned topics related to Industrial Economic / Technology Analysis, Policy Research, Market Analysis and Forecasting, etc., especially with respect to the impacts on industry in Taiwan, and presentation of results/findings.
Value Retail China, Shanghai
- Business Intern: The intern will own a series of quantitative and qualitative analysis-based projects to help drive forward the business of our luxury and premium brands in Shanghai Village. This will likely involve a series of data inputs, including but not limited to, team interviews, quantitative analysis, competitor visits, market research, and beyond.
Previous Summer Partners
- BGI Shenzhen
- Bridge Capital
- Broad Air Conditioning Co., Ltd.
- CDC Software
- Chia Tai Group
- China Central Television (CCTV)
- China Greentech Initiative
- China Huiyuan Juice Group Ltd.
- China Merchants Bank
- China Mobile Group Shanghai Co., Ltd.
- China Petroleum & Chemical Corp. (SINOPEC)
- China Publishing Group Corp.
- China Universal Asset Management
- CISCO System, Inc.
- CITIC Group
- Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu CPA Ltd.
- E. J. McKay & Co., Inc.
- Gemdale Co., Ltd.
- Global Unichip Corp.
- Hay Group
- iKang Guobin Healthcare Group
- ING Banking Asia
- Johnson & Johnson
- Joint US-China Collaboration on Clean Energy
- Junior Achievement China
- McKinsey & Co.
- Meikao Creative & Consulting Co., Ltd.
- One Foundation
- Primavera Capital Group
- SANY Group Co., Ltd
- Sealed Air Packaging Co., Ltd.
- Shanda Interactive Entertainment Ltd.
- Shanghai Media Group
- Shekou Container Terminals Ltd.
- South China Morning Post
- Taikang Life Insurance Co., Ltd.
- Taishin Financial Holdings
- Taiwan Industrial Technology Research Institute
- Taiwan Life Insurance
- Tencent Technology Co., Ltd.
- Time Warner, Inc.
- ZTE Corporation
Testimonials & Past Interns
Since its inaugural summer in 2008, over 300 students have participated in the Harvard China Student Internship Program. For a sampling of student testimonials, please see below:
“The welcoming that I felt from my coworkers was more genuine and heart-warming than most feelings I've received from similar situations in America, and even at Harvard. They treated me as equals, expressed interest in my personal background, and were more than eager to help me with my Chinese and teach me new things. That's the point where I realized that my coworkers weren't much different from myself and my friends…” – 2010 Intern
"My experience... was more than just an internship, more than just a field trip - it was a cultural immersion exercise, an insightful internship, as well as a impetus for self-discovery. Not only did I find out more about China, more about the healthcare system as a whole, but I also found out more about myself - something that was only possible because this internship program put us out of our comfort zones, and in the course of trying to re-establish comfort and routine in my surroundings, I learned more about myself. Best of all, I was able to meet a diverse array of wonderful people, not only from Harvard but also from my living experience in China." - 2012 Intern
"My experience has really changed my perception of China from one of passive observance to that of active engagement. I realize that I want to be a part of all the change and growth that is taking place. With a better understanding of life in China and the culture of the people, I can see myself leveraging the best of my two backgrounds to do work between the United States and China." - 2012 Intern
2016 Internship Placements
Dylan de Waart
iKang Guobin Healthcare Group
Primavera Capital Group
SANY Group Co., Ltd
Beijing Genomics Institute (BGI)
China Universal Asset Management
F.O.G. Capital & Asset Management
Harvard Business School
Junior Achievement China
Sue Ann Yong
Jia Rong Li
Taiwan Industrial Technology Research Institute